Interesting People mailing list archives

CSICOP Online: Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:59:46 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barry Karr <SkeptInq () AOL COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:30:51 -0500 (EST)
To: <CSICOP-ANNOUNCE () LISTSERV AOL COM>
Subject: CSICOP Online: Ghost Voices on Tape & Arthur C. Clarke in Sri Lanka

Just in Time for the January release of the Michael Keaton  movie "White
Noise,"  CSICOP examines the claims for so-called
E.V.P.  - Electronic Voice Phenomena.

Electronic Voice Phenomena

Voices of the Dead?
By James E. Alcock, PhD
When we talk about communication with the dead, we are usually referring to
“mediums” who talk to the dead on our behalf, or who allow the dead to speak
to us through them.
What if, instead the dead could speak to us directly, without the middle
person?
If You Survive Death…?
Imagine for a moment that you are the dead person, that your body has died,
but your mind / personality / soul lives on. You are surprised by this, and
you want to tell people, especially your skeptical friends, all about it –
you want to communicate with us.

What would you do?

You have no voice box therefore you cannot speak. You have no arms or legs
or any means of moving objects. But you are – as they say – an “energy
field.” Could you reach us by interference with devices that rely upon other
energy fields, a radio or tape recorder, for example?

But if you were able to generate some sounds on a tape recorder, would any
one even detect them, or pay attention if they did? It’s often hard to
detect weak signals – and you are but a wraith, a spirit, and probably
without a lot of energy.

However, there is hope for humans, as Ray Hyman points out, because humans
are the best pattern detectors in existence. Pattern detection, in this
example, would be the ability to discriminate signal from noise.

To Read More of This Article Visit:
http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/evp.html

2) Sir Arthur C. Clarke writes from Sri Lanka