Interesting People mailing list archives

more on American to end most food service

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:01:00 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: December 21, 2004 4:53:21 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: American to end most food service

Dave,

For IP if you like.

I enjoyed bbum () mac com's complaint about airline food, responding to this doubly-quoted news item:
The nation's largest air carrier today said it will eliminate complimentary food service for coach customers on domestic flights beginning Feb. 1 in a cost-cutting move that will save the struggling airline $30 million annually. Instead, Dallas-based American will start selling boxed meals and sandwiches priced between $3 to $5 on domestic flights longer than three hours.
[...]
Basically, the airline loads up on a slew of pre-made "meals" from various random Airport Concourse "restaurants". They provide a limited menu-- 3 to 5 meals, it seems-- and you are allowed to select from them.
> Well, you are allowed to select if you are in the first N rows. Beyond
> that, you are pretty much left with whatever meals everyone thought
> might suck the most.

I disagree. It seems clear that American is responding to the desires of the flying public and has taken this move to remain competitive. It also happens to benefit the public by keeping fares lower (all else being equal) than they would be if the food were included in the cost of the ticket.

What's more, the food I've seen on airlines that have adopted this policy is typically from Au Bon Pain or a similar place, and better than what was previously included in the cost of a ticket. Plus the "last to get fed on a plane has fewer choices" has long been the case for traditional airline food as well, so it doesn't seem to be a valid criticism of the shift in policy.

bbum () mac com has plenty of other options if he/she doesn't like this situation. Other airlines' policies differ and may provide alternatives. He/she can upgrade to first class or business class, or drive, or take the train, or catch the bus, or get a pilot's license. Or have a meal beforehand at home or the airport, or bring a sandwich from a favorite deli.

Some of these options have substantial costs associated with them, true, but they are alternatives nonetheless. Instead of bemoaning the lack of mandatory platters of poor-quality airline food, we should be rejoicing at the wealth of transportation choices we enjoy for what is an amazingly cheap price by historical standards.

Complaining about the quality of airline food is about as illuminating as complaining about the quality of the hotdog stand at the back of a Walmart Superstore. The criticisms are correct, but that's not the point. Fine dining is not the purpose of either outing.

-Declan