Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Q re your study re Americans' attitudes toward Muslims

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:19:31 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Cliff Bamford <bamford () oz net>
Date: December 21, 2004 1:30:37 AM EST
To: 'Lee Tien' <tien () eff org>, jes30 () cornell edu
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: Re: Q re your study re Americans' attitudes toward Muslims

Dr. Shanahan:

First let me express my admiration for the even-handedness, courtesy, and professionalism of your reply to Mr. Tien. I apologize for not cc'ing you
on my original posting, thanks to Lee for fixing that.

I accept some of your rebuttals, and am skeptical of others.  But rather
than focusing overmuch on those narrow issues, I'd like to raise a more
important question:

In the next Communications 282 survey project, will you conduct a poll,
using the same general framework, that assesses Muslim-American opinion on
equally germane questions, as suggested below.

Your 2004 study assessed religiosity only for those who self-identified as
Christian, Atheist, or Agnostic.  I am suggesting a poll that assesses
religiosity only for those who self-identify as Moslem, Atheist or Agnostic. As with the 2004 study, Islamic religiosity could be measured as a standard
additive index of four questions: self-reported observance of Ramadan,
literal interpretation of the Koran, self-identification as a "Jihadist", and whether the respondant believes that Allah gave the land of Israel to the Jews and will restore them to it at the end of days (Koran 17:104 Palmer translation) --- as with the 2004 study, respondants could be split into
thirds on the basis of these answers and classified as exhibiting low,
moderate, or high religiosity.

Corresponding adjustments could be made to the other parts of the study. The
key section about Muslim American Civil Liberties might repeat the four
questions from the 2004 study; (a useful control), but I suggest that it add
some others along the following lines:

1. Do you believe Moslems are required to encourage the establishment of
Sharia as the law of the land in which they live?

2. Do you believe that deep knowledge of the Koran is a fully sufficient
education?

3. Do you believe that nonbelievers in the Koran are evil or miscreants?
(Koran 2:90 Pickthall translation)

I'm sure you grasp my intent here.  I certainly don't pretend these
questions are formulated rigorously for poll purposes; I would be happy to assist (if you think I can help) in making the poll as credible and fair as
possible.

Your most recent report made quite a splash, and (if one accepts its
conclusions) revealed startling truths about the attitudes of Americans
towards their Muslim co-nationals.  Surely fairness and professionalism
demands conducting the obverse study.

Thank You

Cliff Bamford
Bang Tao, Thailand