Interesting People mailing list archives

Really bothers me djf Be Very Afraid: Nearly half ofAmericans wou ld restrictMuslimAmericans Civil Rights

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:53:45 -1000

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        Re: [IP] Really bothers me djf Be Very Afraid: Nearly half ofAmericans wou ld restrictMuslimAmericans
Civil Rights
Author: Frode Hegland <frode () liquidinformation org>
Date:           19th December 2004 1:46:44 am

Why in the world should Muslims do anything to reassure their fellow
Americans that this won't be necessary?

Is it the job of a Muslim to speak to our prejudicial mindsets when
someone who shares his or her religion does something bad to reassure
us that this person wont?

Seriously, I feel no need to reassure my Muslim and Arab friends (no,
they are not usually synonymous) in here in London that I am not a
threat to them even though the Christian and Jewish British have, in
league with the Christian and Jewish Americans, have killed scores of
tens of thousands of Iraqis and Afghans.

How silly can this get?

How INCREDIBLY effective was that one attack, by a couple of Egyptians
and friends, that one attack, in snapping off more freedoms and
degrading the way we treat each-other.

Do you expect a
black/white/jewish/Catholic/Chinese/red-haired/old/short (or any other
group/minority) man to reassure you that he won't mug you if you have
been mugged by another
black/white/jewish/Catholic/Chinese/red-haired/old/short (or any other
group/minority) man in the past?

Sorry, I was in the US two weeks ago, for two weeks. The atmosphere has
changed. It wasn't as comfortable as before.

Really eats me up.