Interesting People mailing list archives

(UK) Judges' verdict on terror laws provoke s constitutional crisis

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:10:51 -1000

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        (UK) Judges' verdict on terror laws provokes constitutional crisis
Author: Brian Randell <Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk>
Date:           17th December 2004 12:28:47 pm

Hi Dave:

I am, or at least was, much more used to reading
about the US Supreme Court - in contrast to UK
Law Lords (our nearest equivalent) - reining in
the excesses of the executive branch. Hence my
surprise at the following story, splashed all
over the front page of today's Guardian newspaper:

Judges' verdict on terror laws provokes constitutional crisis

Clare Dyer, Michael White and Alan Travis
Friday December 17, 2004
The Guardian

A scathing law lords judgment condemning the
indefinite detention of foreign terror suspects
as a threat to the life of the nation left
anti-terrorist laws in tatters yesterday.

The ruling by an 8-1 majority held that the
indefinite detention without trial at Belmarsh,
and Woodhill high security prisons was unlawful
under the European convention on human rights
(ECHR).

Constitutional lawyers called it one of the most
important decisions from Britain's highest court
in 50 years.

But 24 hours after David Blunkett, the law's
sponsor, was forced to resign as home secretary,
Downing St and the new home secretary, Charles
Clarke decided to tough it out. They would study
the judgment - but made it plain they are more
likely to renew the controversial laws than
modify them.

Lord Hoffmann, ruled that there is no "state of
public emergency threatening the life of the
nation"- the only basis on which Britain is
entitled to exercise its opt-out from article
five of the European convention, the right to
liberty.

It was the anti-terror laws introduced by Mr
Blunkett which posed a threat, he declared. "The
real threat to the life of the nation, in the
sense of a people living in accordance with its
traditional laws and political values, comes not
from terrorism but from laws such as these."
. . .

Full story at:

   http://www.guardian.co.uk/terrorism/story/0,12780,1375827,00.html

Additional coverage at:
   http://www.guardian.co.uk/humanrights/0,7368,367207,00.html

This includes the following leader column:

Ancient liberties

Leader
Friday December 17, 2004
The Guardian

It is difficult to recall when a minister
received such an unenviable baptism as Charles
Clarke, in his first day as home secretary
yesterday. The ferocity of the law lords'
judgment against the catch-all 2001
Anti-terrorism Act - the government's
"Guantánamo Bay" law, under which foreign
terrorist suspects can be detained without
charge or trial - was unprecedented. Remember
this was only the second occasion in recent
times that the law lords have sat as a panel of
nine, rather than the usual five, because of the
importance of the issue. They voted eight to one
in declaring that detaining people indefinitely
on suspicion alone contravened democratic rights
and international obligations.

As Lord Hoffman noted, the case called into
question "the very existence of an ancient
liberty of which this country has until now been
very proud: freedom from arbitrary arrest and
detention". His conclusion could not have been
more unequivocal or blunt: the act was a bigger
threat to the nation than terrorism. We agree.
It has eroded the very freedoms for which we are
supposed to be combating terrorism. Lord Scott
went one step further, comparing the act to the
"nightmares" associated with France before and
during its revolution and the Soviet Union in
Stalin's era. The act is abominable, but scale -
16 suspects held - has to be taken into account.
. . .

cheers

Brian

--
School of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK