Interesting People mailing list archives

more on STUPID .US Defines Plans to Shut Down GPS in C

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:56:42 -1000

_______________ Forward Header _______________
Subject:        RE: [IP] STUPID .US Defines Plans to Shut Down GPS in C
Author: Bob Frankston <Bob2-0406 () bobf frankston com>
Date:           16th December 2004 10:20:55 am

What is frightening about the current attitude is that everything is
evaluated in terms of its utility for "terrorists" rather than its benefits.

This is reminiscent of banning cryptography on the Internet which I compare
with banning door locks in New York. It also treats education as munitions
that must be kept from those who might possibly harm us. In my postings I
try to avoid the word "foreigner" since I don't want to assume that the
world revolves around the US -- we (in the US) may be dominant but are still
participants not the universe itself.

Perhaps there is a benefit in forcing the rest of the world to become far
less dependent upon the US. But will we go back to the days when scholars
had to go to universities in Germany, for example, to learn physics?

Am I going too far in comparing it with an anti-evolutionary view -- a
static world is zero-sum and either you have it or your enemy does.
Knowledge increases with participation and those who horde and fear others
wind up with less for themselves.

Yet another reminder that Roosevelt was right -- fear is our real enemy.