Interesting People mailing list archives

More on: A Heretical View of File Sharing

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:57:22 -0400

From: "Bernard A. Galler" <galler () umich edu>

** I recently talked to a class of about 100 Engineering students at Michigan about copyright, and we got into a long discussion of music downloading. Almost all of them admitted that they had done Napster-style downloading, but many of them said that they still purchased CD's.

The overwhelming opinion of the students was that they would purchase many more legitimate albums if (1) they contained more than one song that they wanted, (2) if singles were more available, and (3) most important, if the price charged was more in line with the value they thought they were receiving. They thought that Apple's deal with iTunes was a major step in the right direction, but it represented only a minor part of the available music. Bernie