Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Losing Our Edge?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:16:17 -0400

Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:53:05 -0400
From: Tice DeYoung <Tice.DeYoung-1@>

FYI, here is an email from the Asian Technology Information Program that came yesterday. It rovides a pointer to a short summary of the Japanese government's 2004 S&T budget. It does not give me any warm fuzzy feelings. By the way, the ATIP reports are extremely well written and very thorough. They do an excellent job of covering R&D in that area of the world. I know that they are read with great interest throughout the Pacific Rim. I highly recommend subscribing to ATIP for anyone interested in science & technology.

I have been concerned about the U.S. losing its technology edge for almost 10 years. Industry suffers from the short term view because of their bottom line per quarter mentality. The US government used to provide a stable base of funding for basic research and early development, which industry then picked up and made into products. However, for the past 10 years industry has had to cherry pick the low hanging technology fruit. This is now beginning to disappear because it takes 8-10 years for basic research to get to the product stage. Now it seems the only federal agency still providing significant funds for basic R&D is NSF.

The saddest part of this is that if the U.S. loses the technology edge, we will not get it back. No other country would be short sighted or foolish enough to ever relinquish the lead, once obtained.

Tice