Interesting People mailing list archives

Thought provoking comments . . .

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:20:06 -0400

Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:34:21 -0700
From: Severo Ornstein <severo () poonhill com>
Subject: Thought provoking comments . . .

. . . from one of my [Severo's not IP] listmembers. Not exactly gentle, but . . .?

It is still possible to win the war in Iraq. In fact, there are two methods which bring a victory:

1. Get out on June 30. Since the war is over, all POWs get repatriated. Turn Saddam over to al-Sadr, or al-Sistani, or one of the guys who had his ears cut off by Saddam's secret police. The general idea is that we don't want Saddam to be alive on July 2. Declare that the US invaded Iraq to get rid of a regime which was a threat to the US, and that we will invade Iraq again if they threaten us again. Declare that we have withdrawn our troops from Iraq in order to prepare for the next invasion, of the next country that supports terrorists against us.

2. Put 4 million troops into Iraq, which should be enough to pacify the place and install a stable democratic government. Keep them there as long as needed (hint: US occupation forces sent into Nazi Germany in 1945 are still there, which is 59 years and counting).

NOTHING ELSE WILL WORK. In particular, attempting to pacify Mesopotamia with 135,000 US troops and a handful of Europeans will only annoy the Iraqis and get a lot of people killed. Escalating by a few thousand every few months will work exactly as well as it worked in Viet Nam in 1966.

I can already see the stupid questions:

Q:  Who will you turn over the Iraqi government to?