Interesting People mailing list archives

OUTSIDE THE BOX: Wi-Fi Is Dead, Long Live Wi-Max

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:39:40 -0400

[Note:  This comment comes from reader Mark Laubach.  DLH]

From: Mark Laubach <mark () matmos com>
Date: April 16, 2004 4:07:40 PM PDT
To: dewayne () warpspeed com
Subject: Re: [Dewayne-Net] OUTSIDE THE BOX: Wi-Fi Is Dead, Long Live Wi-Max

As a very recent anecdotal story on this, I was just traveling on business
to the Chicago area. We selected a hotel as they advertised "high speed
wireless access in every room". Same on the banners and registration lobby
and on the advertising cards in the room.  On reading the cards, it turns
out they only offered WiFi access.

WiFi has replaced the 10BaseT connector in some segments.  Cool.  One
of my folks who didn't have a wifi card handy, was able to borrow an
Ethernet-to-WiFi conversion box from the front desk.  Further showing
that in some cases, the universal connector of Ethernet may be
fading, replaced by WiFi, and punctuated by conversion boxes.

Now, will Wi-Max replace WiFi?  Not anytime soon.  It'll have to wait
until after WiFi becomes the universal connector in the hospitality
industry.  Maybe in 3-4 years....or longer....

Just my traveling thoughts.

Mark