Interesting People mailing list archives

FBI issues arrest warrant for Adrian Lamo

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 07:34:13 -0400

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:25:23 -0500
From: jamie rishaw <jamie () arpa com>
Subject: FBI issues arrest warrant for Adrian Lamo
To: dave () farber net

Dave,

  Might be interested in this one..

  Adrian Lamo, the self-proclaimed "homeless hacker" written up in Newsweek,
Wired, etc, is now being hunted by the FBI.

  For those IP'ers not familiar with him, Adrian made his claim to fame by
hacking into corporate sites (networks, web servers, etc), as a "Good
Samaritan" play: "I did it, but I'm the /good guy/..."

  It was always followed up, some say, by a "You guys should hire me/my
friends to secure your network".. but nonetheless, he's been charged
in New York under 18 USC 1029 and 1030.. the fun and games appear to be
over.

  SecurityFocus.com has a write-up at http://securityfocus.com/news/6888 .

-jamie
--