Interesting People mailing list archives

How to Steal a Mainframe

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:04:05 -0400

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:52:48 +1000
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
Subject: FW: [LINK] How to Steal a Mainframe
To: "Dave Farber (E-mail)" <dave () farber net>

Hi Dave

Two unidentified unsubs posing as EDS contractors illegally gained access to sensitive computer equipment at Sydney International Airport and wheeled out a couple of IBM servers. These servers we are told contained confidential information and may even hold details of ongoing international investigations into terror acts. The data could reveal the identities and activities of undercover agents from Western governments.

"The Community and Public Sector Union, which represents customs officers, has asked for guarantees that none of its members is at risk as a result of the theft.

"The union expressed fears thatthe lives of undercover agents could be jeopardised after officers claimed that customs officials were covering up the true extent of the damage. Also at risk, they said, are operations against terrorists and international drug cartels in which customs officers watch the movements of suspects and suspicious cargo in and out of the country."

Further from the Link list.