Interesting People mailing list archives

-- more on -- Appropriate punishments for hackers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 07:30:10 -0400

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 10:32:06 -0400
From: Seth Finkelstein <sethf () sethf com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Appropriate punishments for hackers
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Lauren Weinstein wrote:
> In essence, we've created a computing and network environment with the
> equivalent of big red flashing "DO NOT PUSH" buttons all over the place out
> in public, and then we act surprised and upset when bright, under-guided,
> bored kids push them.  That those buttons unleash such expensive
> consequences speaks mainly to inanity of the environment we've created --
> and the important applications we've inappropriately deployed in that
> environment -- and much less about the kids who push the "buttons."

        Can I point out that we often have exactly big red (though
not flashing) buttons all over the place, as in fire alarms? And
occasionally, bored kids do pull them for the fun of it. But
despite that social vulnerability, it's also an offense.

        I think the problem here comes down to mutual responsibility.
In the sense that Microsoft makes products where security is set
deliberately low in order to increase marketability, and inevitably,
malicious people take advantage of this tradeoff. Microsoft creating
attractive nuisances doesn't excuse those who take advantage of them.
But while it would be nice if there were no hostile people in the
world, that can't be relied upon as a workable security solution.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf () sethf com  http://sethf.com
Anticensorware Investigations - http://sethf.com/anticensorware/