Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Software makers should pay for bad products [TECH UPDATE]

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:38:45 -0400

Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:29:31 +0100
From: M Taylor <mctaylor () privacy nb ca>
Subject: Re: [IP] Software makers should pay for bad products [TECH UPDATE]
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

[for IP if you want -mct]

> Software makers should pay for bad products

You can't have it both ways, IT managers want their cake and to eat it
too. There are companies that make less known, less exciting products
that do work, some are developed with certification, and guess what? Very
few IT managers are willing to pay the increase cost and accept the
lack of new and exciting new bells and whistles.

How many companies buy Trusted Solaris or other Orange Book or
CC certified OS and run them in an approved config? Outside the
military and NSA, I suspect close to zero.

Take the IBM OS/390 series, it has been around for a while now, and
there has been a stable and predictiable upgrade path, with good
relability that can only be dreamed about in the typical Windows
or Linux computing environment. But who wants to pay the price and
try to sell such as unsexy purchase to the CEO and the board? IT
managers have come to rely on more mainstream product vendors
that make better packaged (read: sexier package with all the latest
trendy features) products which can be sold easier to the board
because their name is more familiar (e.g. Microsoft) than obscure
companies, many of whom are no more, DEC, Wang, Acorn, ... that
tried to deliver business oriented computing that worked. I still
have a soft spot for DEC's VAX VMS systems which could be clustered
to survive hardware and software upgrades in the late 1980s. I'm
still waiting for all those features in x86 based systems, regardless
of OS. I originally was very hopeful of Microsoft's "Trustworthy
Computing", but I've lowered my expectations, and hope that the
idea lasts so that get a little big closer to not quite wide open and
naked infrastructure.

I think the other issue is compatability, because most hardware and
software does actually do its basic function, but intergrating it into
a business's overall infrastructure is a challenge. Part of the reason
for this is the vendor trying to vie for more business and engaging in
action to encourage lockout of their competitors. Hal Varin's Information
Rules explains it far better than I ever could.

Vendors are not the only ones to blame, customers want cheap, fast,
feature-rich, "exciting" products. That's what they actually buy. With
the dot-com hype coming to an end I had high hopes that the computing
industry would slow down, take some time to look back at what works
and what doesn't and grow up. I had hoped that the VC and the 'newest
new thing' reporters would go back to stock promoting, and IT managers
would survey their domains and go back and fix things like the lack
of documentation, testing, disaster planning, and everything else
skipped during the "get big fast" days. Instead I see managers looking
for new productivty "silver bullets", and continue building new even
less secure networking infrastructure (thanks WiFi) in some mad dash
to get those dollars out of the ether somehow.

IT managers need to stop giving their money away, and then complaining
about getting expensive, complex, broken, incompatible, insecure
products.

Wake me up when IT is willing to grow up.

--
M Taylor
http://www.mctaylor.com/