Interesting People mailing list archives

Sept 11 Remarks of Stephen Bosworth, Dean of Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:52:02 -0400

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:38:28 -0400
From: Carolyn Gideon <carolyn.gideon () tufts edu>
Subject: Sept 11 Remarks of Stephen Bosworth,
 Dean of Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
To: dave () farber net

Hello Dave,
Below I have copied the September 11 reflections of Stephen Bosworth, Dean of the Fletcher School at Tufts and former ambassador to Korea and many other countries. Stephen gave these remarks at the Tufts University memorial service. I found this to be the best concise articulation of the current concerns for the many changes in the post-9/11 world and the need for tolerance and discussion, so often discussed on IP. I thought you would also appreciate this.
Best regards,
Carolyn

Carolyn Gideon
Assistant Professor of International Communications and Technology Policy
Fletcher School of Law and Dimplomacy
Tufts University
<mailto:Carolyn.Gideon () tufts edu>Carolyn.Gideon () tufts edu
<mailto:Carolyn () the-friedmans org>Carolyn () the-friedmans org

<http://www.fletcher.tufts.edu/news/2003/09/bosworthremarks.shtml>http://www.fletcher.tufts.edu/news/2003/09/bosworthremarks.shtml

Remarks by Stephen W. Bosworth
Tufts University Memorial Service, September 11, 2003

We gather as a community to remember, reflect, and resolve. We are here to honor the memories of all those, Americans and non-Americans, who were victims on September 11, 2001.

September 11 was a devastating event, the memory of which remains sharp. For Americans it was a hinge moment. Before September 11, Americans had a certain conceit of invulnerability, of being insulated from the physical insecurity with which so many in the rest of the world contend on a daily basis. Since September 11, that sense of invulnerability is gone. We have lost our innocence.

But now two years after the event, it is timely, I believe, to examine how we, as a nation have responded to September 11. How our response has affected ourselves and, importantly, how it has affected how we are seen by the rest of the world, and finally, whether we have in fact reduced the threat of terrorism.

Our first response immediately after the attacks was to look to our own defenses. This was certainly correct. Clearly, we needed better control over our own borders and who enters our country. We also needed to ensure that our authorities had sufficient investigative and enforcement powers. Now, however, I worry that in our desire for greater security we are inadvertently isolating ourselves from the outside world and that this will ultimately make us less, not more secure. I also worry that in our concern over terrorism we are jeopardizing the very things that make this country unique: freedom of speech, an appreciation of diversity, the rule of law and due process. When I read that the number of foreign visitors to the U.S. has declined by more than twenty percent, for example, I am concerned. When I learn of foreign students who decide not to apply to American institutions because of the difficulty of obtaining visas, I am concerned. When I see our justice department requesting more powers from the Congress, powers that some reasonable and sensible experts believe may threaten due process and equality under the law, I am concerned.

I consider myself a patriot. I care deeply about this country. But as a patriot I am especially worried by the extent to which our actions and decisions are defended in terms of patriotism. As Jonathan Alter wrote recently in Newsweek magazine, patriotism, which was a source of comfort in the weeks immediately after September 11, risks becoming a cudgel used against internal misgivings and disagreement. Patriotism is not a substitute for critical thought.

I am also concerned about some of the words and terminology we use. The very phrase “War on Terror” is misleading. Americans tend to declare war a lot. The reality is that terror is a technique, not a state or a people. To declare a war on terror creates an expectation that it will eventually be over, that it will end. In fact, that may not be the case. I suspect that we will need to be concerned about terror for a long, long time and that we will never be able to declare with confidence that the threat is ended. We also continue to reassure ourselves that “We will never forget”. Certainly, we should not forget those who were lost. And we should be aware of the continuing threat. We should do everything possible to counter and neutralize that threat. But it would be a grave error to proceed on the basis of a desire for vengeance.

In addition to what our response to September 11 has meant for us internally, I am even more concerned by what is happening to the relationship between ourselves and the rest of the world. In the weeks after September 11, there was a tremendous outpouring of grief and sympathy for the United States from virtually the entire world. Now, just two years later, that has changed dramatically and everywhere there has been a surge of anti-Americanism. We should, it seems to me, ask ourselves why this has happened and what we might do about it. We are seen as almost unimaginably powerful. But we are also seen as being frightened and therefore unpredictable. That combination is in turn frightening to the rest of the world, and the United States is now feared to an extent never before experienced.

Yet, to combat terrorism successfully we need the full cooperation and assistance of other countries. Our successes against terrorism to date have been marked by joint action in terms of intelligence sharing and police activity. We should be seeking to expand cooperation with the rest of the world, not behaving in a manner that damages it.

In the immediate aftermath of September 11, it was apparent that we could not allow international terrorist organizations a safe haven, a refuge from which they could organize, plot and carry out attacks against us. In that context, our decision to invade Afghanistan made good sense and was in fact supported by most of the rest of the world, including our traditional allies. But while the initial military action was successful, we have been less successful in providing Afghanistan with the resources it needs. The consequences of that failure are all too predictable.

We will need to be prepared to use military force in the future. However, as we use military force we need to take great care that we are not in fact creating conditions that will result in an increase in the threat of terrorism. Iraq is an all too relevant example. Evidence of a link between Sadam Hussein and Al-Quaida was scant at best. Now, as the Financial Times said earlier this week, “occupied Iraq has become a magnet, as well as a recruiting sergeant, for itinerant jihadis who march to the drum of Osama bin-Laden.”

I am most concerned, however, by what we have not done since September 11. We have yet to initiate a discussion of why. Why did this happen? What have we done to engender such antipathy that people are willing to die in order to do us harm? It is not accurate to say that people attack us because they hate our freedom. There is a history to the events of September 11. I do not believe that there is a justification for what was done to us, but there are explanations. Unless we try to understand why, it is almost certain that we will never be able to eliminate the threat. It is not enough to ask what it is about fundamentalism that feeds extremism and violence. We have to accept that we too bear some responsibility.

In our failure to have a national conversation about these things, we are all culpable. Our political leaders are guilty of avoiding what will clearly be a difficult and politically risky discussion. Our media are guilty of not wanting to take on sensitive topics. And, I would concede, our institutions of higher education have yet to meet fully their responsibility to help examine these issues with the thoughtfulness and courage that is required.

Asian philosophy and the Golden Mean – balance in all things. In my years living in Asia, I have come to appreciate the wisdom of the Golden Mean. We need to beware of extremism, to seek balance in all things, including our response to September 11.

We gather to remember, to comfort one another, and to honor the victims of September 11. As we reflect and look to the future, we must remember that events have histories and that actions have consequences.
122957.gif

160 Packard Avenue - Tufts University - Medford, Massachusetts 02155-7082 USA - 617.627.3700
Comments to: <mailto:FletcherWeb () tufts edu>FletcherWeb () tufts edu
2002 The Fletcher School, Tufts University
122957.gif

122975.gif

122975.gif