Interesting People mailing list archives

dave () farber net is back online

From: Dave Farber <dfarber () cs cmu edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:50:27 -0400

By the way, GG and I had planned to come back to Landenberg Wed for a meeting at UPenn. We decided to skip that and come Sat due to the weather. Boy were we right. Landenberg lost power for over 24 hrs; our freezer was having a buzzing session; our driveway was a mess of branches; many bridges were washed out; several major roads were out with trees down. In Pittsburgh , at least near Carnegie Mellon -- very little wind, not much rain. Goood call.

Dave

rom: James M Galvin <galvin () eListX com>

Dave,

I had 18 hours of downtime yesterday.  Power went out pretty early on
Thursday, about 6pm.  It was about midnight when equipment needed to be
turned off because in spite of having power the air conditioning went.
It also turns out the network connectivity went shortly thereafter, in
spite of two independent upstreams Verizon was still the line provider
and they were having their own problems.

Anyway, service was back about 6pm friday evening, which you have no
doubt figured out by now.

Personally, I'm only just back online myself.  I lost a tree and half of
four others.  Two fell on part of my fence but otherwise I didn't have
any property damage luckily.  My neighbors did not fair so well.

I'd say it's about as close to the real thing as I want to get.

Jim