Interesting People mailing list archives

They'll never learn (Streisand versus Coastal Photo Effort )

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 06:35:41 -0400

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:32:24 -0400
From: Barry Ritholtz <ritholtz () optonline net>
Subject: They'll never learn (Streisand versus Coastal Photo Effort )
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

For IP, if you like

File this under "When will they learn, part II" (Subcategory: Celebrity Stupidity): The Fox v Franken case made it clear (at least to any one with half a brain) that in a modern, networked society, censorship works not to suppress an undesirable item, but to generate incidental exposure and publicity, thus promoting the item.

The Franken Case, which has since become widely known as the "Fair and Balanced" lawsuit, had the perverse effect of catapulting Franken's book to the top of Amazon's best seller list.

Along that very same vein, now comes the Streisand vs Coastal Photo Effort litigation. The irony of this, is that had Babs never sued, the unlabeled
been any the wiser. What would have been merely picture 3850.jpg became
instead, a story picked up by the media.

Her home has been identified, and reposted around the internet. I'm proud to post Streisand's home at my blog (<http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2003/09/photography_als.html>http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2003/09/photography_als.html), and I suggest other people do so also. Even if she wins the case, she will ultimately lose, because her goal -- rmoving the photo -- will be widely disseminated. You can't just put the toothpaste back in the tube . . .

Fox and Streisand, hardly political bedfellows, find themselves lumped together with the radical islamic clerics who sought to supress Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses -- and incidentally made it one of the most purchased, least read books in the history of movable type.

This is Public Relations 101! In a modern society, if you want something to go away, IGNORE IT. Making loud, whiny complaints -- and that especially includes litigation -- only draws attention to the item you want suppressed. The supresser functions as a publicity machine for the item sought to be supressed.

When will these people ever learn?

Barry L. Ritholtz
Market Strategist
Maxim Group