Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Cybercoolies or cyber sahibs?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:13:50 -0400

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:18:35 -0800
From: Enrique A Suarez <isuarez () edsamail com ph>
Subject: Re: [IP] resend with article attached -- Cybercoolies or cyber sahibs?
To: dave () farber net

Hello:

I read with interest this posting on call centers. This is because I am a Filipino technology journalist.
As such, the call center industry here forms part of my beat.
Just my insights:
1) These so-called "coolie wages"--when translated into Philippine pesos--are salaries fit for entry-level yuppies. Jobs in this sector are also vehicles for expanding the middle class in my country. 2) I believe Filipinos have greater familiarity with US culture and do not need to hone up on this. Filipinos are also more familiar with American English. 3) Call centers--lowly though they may be in the service economy chain--are welcome in the Philippines,because they provide employment to fresh college graduates. 4) Filipinos are not competing with India here on wages. In fact, pay scales are almost similar. We are competing on the fact that Philippine history--"50 years in Hollywood" as a US colony--will give us an edge in understanding US clients.Policymakers also believe that the right moves will enable the Philippines to move up the "food chain" vis-a-vis e-services in time. But a good start can be made with "call centers" where Filipinos can start to prove their worth. 5) Lastly, the policy vis-a-vis e-services--and this includes call centers--is for coopetition with India.
This is all for now.
Ike

_