Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Media study reveals effect of spin on US public

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:56:19 -0400

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:18:36 -0400
From: Scott Alexander <salex () dsl cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Media study reveals effect of spin on US public
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

I'd certainly like to believe that this is all Fox's fault or all the
fault of a recent shift to the right by the media.  However, the LA
Times had a similar article following the first Gulf War.  In
particular, I recall that the only fact that regular TV watchers were
more likely to get right was the name of the Patriot Missile.

I tend to think that this has more to do with the role of TV news as
entertainment and ratings driven.  It takes time and thought to explain
that not all "evil doers" in the world are on the same side.  The second
Gulf War is boring by now, so it doesn't help ratings to dwell on it.
For that matter, it's still easy to find people who think that the
Patriot Missile was an unbridled success in the first Gulf War.  And, of
course, no "public and professional debate" of any lasting impact was
"stoked" after the first Gulf War.  I would be fairly surprised if one
of any substance were after this one.

Best,
Scott Alexander