Interesting People mailing list archives

more on ARRL's "private game preserve"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:38:20 -0500

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:35:58 -0500
From: "John A. Limpert" <jlimpert () acm org>
Subject: Re: [IP] ARRL's "private game preserve"
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Steve Schear <s.schear () comcast net>, dewayne () warpspeed com

    Dewayne Hendricks is CEO of Dandin Group, Inc., a Fremont, CA-based
    company which does research and product development in the area of
    broadband wired and wireless data devices and services

Can you say "conflict of interest"?

I've been a ham (N3DMC), and ARRL member, since I was a teenager. The ARRL
is not a perfect organization. Like any large organization, it has its share
of objectionable people.

Amateur radio is a multi-faceted hobby. You can find people who are
interested in talking to people in other countries, participating in
contests, providing disaster communications, designing and building radio
equipment and antennas, operating packet radio networks, restoring antique
radios, learning about electronics, talking to their family, friends and
neighbors, operating an amateur television station, experimenting with
microwave communications, using unusual propagation modes, communicating
through amateur satellites, and many other areas of interest.

Suggesting that the amateur bands be reclaimed because the average ham is
not marching to your drum beat is short-sighted. There is enough room for
many different interests.

The ARRL has to worry about spectrum preservation, both from the aspect of
reallocation and degradation due to interference. There are many commercial
organizations who are eager to make a few bucks by grabbing a chunk of
spectrum for their own use, or by deploying technology that pollutes the RF
commons with noise and interference.

When the recent hurricane hit the East Coast and wiped out commercial power
for days, amateur radio operators were out in force, providing emergency
communications for disaster relief organizations, medical facilities, and
state and local governments. Many hams spend their own money to provide
emergency power capabilities for their own stations and community radio
repeater stations. They also volunteer their time for amateur radio
organizations that specialize in emergency communications.