Interesting People mailing list archives

more on VeriSign to revive redirect service

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:26:48 -0400

From: Marc Aniballi <marcaniballi () hotmail com>

Dear Dave and Joseph

Although I find the creation of SiteFinder of dubious merit, the obvious
reasons for its existence having nothing to do with altruism for the
internet community, I believe there is a low cost way to "spank" this
misbehaving child called Verisign.

It occurs to me, that all Verisign has done is change the content of the
"Domain not found" error message. It would take little effort from the
dominant browser providers and/or core ISPs to simply "retranslate" a
redirect to the URL "sitefinder.com" into "Domain not found."

While this type of "hack" is, in its own right, distasteful to a degree,
its simplicity of execution and relatively low cost, should at least
have Verisign and other "trusted" providers to the community thinking
twice before hijacking their mandate for personal gain. I would also
suspect that once this type of band-aid hack is distributed, that
Verisign's clients would find that the SiteFinder service has little of
the value they were promised. Without paying customers, there will be
little reason for them to continue the "service."

Regards,

Marc Aniballi