Interesting People mailing list archives

The Bernstein Cryptography Case Is Dismissed

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:41:19 -0400

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:19:29 -0400
From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger () samsara law cwru edu>
Subject: The Bernstein Cryptography Case Is Dismissed
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

For IP if you consider it suitable.

This inconclusive ending of the Bernstein case is a consequence
of the government's policy in cases where there are first amendment
challenges to restrictions on the publication of software to claim
that they have no intention of enforcing the law as it is written
and thus getting the cases dismissed as moot.

The end result is that, though Bernstein had originally won in both
the District Court and the 9th Circuit and I lost my later-filed
 case involving much the same issues---Junger v. Daley---in the
federal District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, it is the 6th
Circuit Court of Appeal's decision reversing the District Court's
decision in Junger v. Daley that is the leading case holding that
computer programs are speech that is protected by the First Amendment.
In the Bernstein case, when the government amended the regulations
forbidding the publication of computer programs, the 9th Circuit
Court of Appeals withdrew its earlier opinion in Bernstein's favor
and remanded the case to the district court, where the government
claimed that they would not enforce the restrictions on cryptography
against Dan Bernstein.  In my case, on the other hand, the 6th
Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the District Court's holding that
the First Amendment does protect those who would publish software and
then remanded the case to the District Court for further proceedings.
At that point, rather than risking our victory in the 6th Circuit,
we settled my case, even though the new regulations were---and
are---constitutionally questionable.

Although my case is now the leading case holding that publishing
software is protected by the First Amendment, I do not believe
that we would have had our success without the efforts of Dan
Bernstein and his lawyers from the Electronic Freedom Foundation.