Interesting People mailing list archives

FCC WANTS TO EXPAND WIRELESS TO UNDERSERVED AREAS

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:45:00 -0500

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:57:55 -0800
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note: This was a very confusing article to me. I guess that I'm just too close to the subject matter, but it looks to me that a number of people were misquoted. DLH]

FCC WANTS TO EXPAND WIRELESS TO UNDERSERVED AREAS

The Federal Communications Commission is reserving a new portion of
high-frequency spectrum for wireless Internet users to encourage the spread
of high-speed data access in rural and other underserved areas. Although
WiFi networks are in widespread use in coffee shops and hotel lobbies across
the country, the goal now is to expand high-speed data connections to
sparsely populated communities and entire neighborhoods. (Washington Post 14
Nov 2003)

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38286-2003Nov13.html>