Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Bicyclists vs Clear Channel

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 17:53:02 -0500

I agree with Declan re the FCC EXCEPT at license renewal time when, while it may be less than decisive, there is the opportunity to complain. But lobbying Clearchannel and their advertisers is an effective and proper way. Also I think there is a difference between calling a person a name and incident to attack. If one suggested attacking Bush , see how long it would be till the secret service showed up.

Dave

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

Dave,

I've been a bicyclist all my life as well, ever since participating in the Philadelphia-Ocean City MS ride (150 miles) when I was around 10 years old. I agree with Dana that the talk show hosts' comments, as I understand them, are vile and contemptible remarks that go beyond the pale and have no place in civil discourse.

But I would caution IPers about lobbying the FCC to censor the radio stations. That could set a nasty precedent. Imagine the next time a political talk show host quipped "President Bush is guilty of treason" or "Senator Hillary Clinton should be strung up." If the three Clear Channel stations lose their licenses, that would set the perfect precedent for any offended parties (and there always are some) to censor controversial political speech in the future.

Living in a free society means occasionally tolerating vile and contemptible remarks. The hosts' remarks would be legal if typed in a Usenet post or published in a book; they should be legal on the air as well. As noxious as the anti-bicyclist comments are, they do not rise to the level of "terrorism," and we should not follow the Bush administration's unfortunate lead of broadening the definition of the word far beyond its original meaning.

The best way to respond to hateful speech is with speech of your own including publicity and boycotts. That seems to have worked here: Advertising has been pulled, Clear Channel has apologized on the air and has, the AP article said, "donated $10,000 and air time to promote bicycle safety."

-Declan