Interesting People mailing list archives

DHS plans cybersecurity summit

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:14:33 -0500

Government Computer News
11/11/03
DHS plans cybersecurity summit
By Wilson P. Dizard III

Officials in the Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection Directorate of the Homeland Security Department plan to announce details of the upcoming Cyber Security Summit soon, a department spokesman said.

The summit, which assistant secretary for IAIP Robert Liscouski first discussed in September, will be held in the San Francisco Bay area, directorate spokesman Donald Tighe said.

Additional cybersecurity meetings will occur before and after the main event on Dec. 3, Tighe said. "We are still finalizing plans" for the location of the conference and the officials who will attend, he said.

Amit Yoran, director of the directorate's National Cyber Security Division, will take a leading role at the conference.

"The reason that industry and government need to work together in two-way conversations on cyber and IT infrastructure security ... is to determine for both sides what opportunities we have and what obligations we have," Tighe said.

"We will be announcing goals and plans as we get closer to it," Tighe said of the conference.

Entrust Inc. of McLean, Va., issued a statement saying that its chief executive officer, Bill Connor, will work on the Corporate Governance Task Force that will convene at the summit, and homeland secretary Tom Ridge and Liscouski are tentatively scheduled to attend.

"The Summit will initiate both planning and action," the Entrust statement said, "bringing together representatives from across the critical infrastructures, government and academia, to collaboratively craft tangible solutions for major security challenges identified in the White House National Strategy to Secure Cyberspace."

Tighe declined to disclose the exact location of the summit.

(Click for Sept. 22 GCN story http://www.gcn.com/22_28/news/23616-1.html)