Interesting People mailing list archives

SJ Merc: Cops arrest angry spam recipient...

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:27:12 -0500

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:21:21 -0800
From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
Subject: SJ Merc: Cops arrest angry spam recipient...
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Hmmm. You had better be nice to your spammers or they will sic the cops on you. (note "additional info" at the end of the piece)

-p

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/7326032.htm
Posted on Sat, Nov. 22, 2003

Spam sends local man into rage
HE'S ARRESTED FOR DEATH THREAT
By Elise Ackerman
Mercury News

Charles Booher said he is normally a non-violent person. In his spare time, he writes software programs that he likens to Andy Warhol art projects. The last time the Sunnyvale resident got in a fight, he was 11 years old.

But in May, Booher received one piece of unsolicited e-mail too many. Booher sat down at his keyboard and began firing back e-mail after e-mail threatening to kill the alleged spammer, according to law enforcement officials. On Thursday, federal agents arrested Booher, 44, at his home and charged him with 11 violations of interstate communications.

Released on bond, Booher faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

``If I could go back, I wouldn't have done it,'' he said Friday. ``I would have realized sooner that I needed to shut my Web site down, to shut down my e-mail and to re-evaluate the way I was using the Internet.''

Booher said the nature of the spam he received set off an emotional trigger. He said he is a three-time survivor of testicular cancer and that he was bombarded by e-mail and pop-up ads for penile enlargement. No matter what he did, he couldn't get them to go away. ``I wanted them to leave me alone,'' he said.

He first tried to figure out a technical solution. A professional programmer, he said he has a bachelor's degree in physics from the Illinois Institute of Technology, a master's in electrical engineering from Northwestern, as well as certificates in computer programming from the University of California-Santa Cruz and in the history of science from Stanford University.

When the ads wouldn't stop, Booher said he contacted the company, Albion Medical, which appeared to be sending the spam, and asked to speak with Doug Mackay, whose name had appeared on one of the unsolicited advertisements.

``I said, `Will you please stop spamming me so much,' '' Booher recalled. ``He said, `I'd like to try, but it's complicated. I have literally millions of agents out there.' ''
``It started polite, but it went downhill from there,'' Booher said.

In May, Booher began sending Mackay blood-chilling e-mails. Excerpts from the e-mails were filed with the criminal complaint against Booher. In an e-mail dated June 14, Booher promises Mackay he will ``locate you, disable you using a quick 22 calibre shot to your lower spine and then duck tape. . . . I am going to cut into the left side of your brain using a power drill and an ice pick.''

``He's obviously a very sick man,'' said Mackay from his office in Canada. Mackay insists his company, DM Contact Management, has nothing to do with spam and has no relationship with the companies who were spamming Booher. In a telephone interview, Mackay said his company handled customer service for Internet companies, answering telephone queries and taking orders. ``We don't deal with any e-mail marketing at all,'' he said.

However, according to a sworn affidavit by FBI Agent John Carney, DM Contact Management does provide ``advertising to e-mail subscribers.''

Albion Medical, which sent Booher advertisements for ``VigRX,'' does business as Leading Edge Marketing, a Bahamas company whose phones are answered by Mackay's company in Victoria, British Columbia.

A DM Contact Management online job posting in August for a systems administrator gives a company number that is answered by someone who identifies themselves as working for Leading Edge Marketing.

Mackay told the Mercury News that Leading Edge Marketing is just a client of his company and that they don't send unsolicited e-mail.

Booher said he threatened Mackay because the tactic seemed to work. ``I would scream at him and it would stop, and then it would start up again, and then I would scream at him again.''

Alarmed, Mackay said he contacted police in both Victoria, where his office is based, and in Sunnyvale. The Sunnyvale police called Booher and for a few days there was a truce.

Then Booher started receiving spam again. He said it was different companies, but they were selling the same product, and he believed Mackay was behind it. On July 6, Booher wrote Mackay: ``I am going to slam a 10cm ice pick into your left ear. It is going to go past your ear drum and when it does so you are for a brief moment going to be in more pain than you can imagine.''

Mackay said he began researching Booher on the Web and found out that he had been subpoenaed to testify before a federal grand jury in San Jose in 1998 about an encryption program he was selling on the Web. Though Booher was never charged with any sort of violation, Booher was upset enough by the government inquiry to post the subpoena on his Web site. Mackay found it, and called the FBI agent whose name was listed there.

Booher said he would not have followed through on his threats. ``The front of my computer is where I express anger,'' he said. ``Where are you allowed to get angry in the world?'' Typing on his keyboard gave him relief. ``It felt like I was just getting some rage out,'' he said.
Contact Elise Ackerman at eackerman () mercurynews com or (408) 271-3774.
Additional info:
The company originating the advertisements that angered Mr. Booher can be found at: www.albionmedical.com and also Leading Edge Herbals , 2414 4th Avenue ,Greeley, CO 80631 www.leadingedgecash.com

And here is an interesting window into the sleazy world of online marketing -- a review of leading edge's products for would-be sellers of their, um, products:
http://www.pillsponsors.com/leadingedge_penis_pill_sponsor.php