Interesting People mailing list archives

Politiczing the Terror War

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:49:46 -0500

Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:51:24 -0500
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Subject: Politiczing the Terror War
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>

Dave,

Funny (ironic/sad) how politics can be.

Remember after 09/11, Bush said "I have no ambition whatsoever to use this
as a political issue" -- and even in early 2002 was holding that line in
public statements, according to this BBC article from 24 Jan 2002. (Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/1778681.stm)

Then, a 21 Nov 2003 NY Times article discussing the new round of 2004 GOP
Presidential campaign ads says this:

"The new commercial gives the first hint of the themes Mr. Bush's campaign
is likely to press in its early days. It shows Mr. Bush, during the last
State of the Union address, warning of continued threats to the nation: "Our
war against terror is a contest of will, in which perseverance is power," he
says after the screen flashes the words, "Some are now attacking the
president for attacking the terrorists....By indirectly invoking the Sept.
11 attacks, the commercial plays to what White House officials have long
contended is Mr. Bush's biggest political advantage: his initial handling of
the aftermath of the attacks."

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/21/politics/campaigns/21REPU.html?ei=5007&en=
09fd66eb082dc29d&ex=1384750800&partner=USERLAND&pagewanted=print&position=

Sadly, I guess it's true -- nothing is off-limits and no pledge can't be
broken in a politician's quest to keep his job. Although I dread the day, if
Bush does get a second term, I do hope it's because he actually won a
Presidential election.

Rick the Annoyed
- infowarrior.org