Interesting People mailing list archives

IEEE members and Joseph McCarthy's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 17:43:15 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 12:07:11 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Joseph McCarthy's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations

Dave,

I've just started reading the transcripts of the secret McCarthy
Senate subcommittee hearings
<http://www.access.gpo.gov/congress/senate/senate12cp107.html> but I
can hardly tear myself away to write this. I hope everyone takes a
few minutes to look through them and more fully appreciate the errors
of the past (and to consider how easily history could repeat itself
today).

According to today's NY Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/national/06MCCA.html>, 42 army
engineers lost their jobs after testifying. Many of them were
probably mining, mechanical, or civil engineers, but several
engineers who testified, apparently, worked at places like RCA,
Zenith, Voice of America, and the Federal Telecommunications
Laboratories, and so might have been members of the IEEE (or, more
properly, its ancestor society, the IRE).

We at IEEE Spectrum would be interested to talk with any Institute
members who have any connection at all to the subcommittee,
especially anyone who lost a job, or was blacklisted, or knew or is
related to anyone who was. It would be a great service to us if you
could post this request.

  Steven
--

--