Interesting People mailing list archives

More on house.gov censorship issue

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 13:40:33 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Hawkins, Dave" <dhawkins () nrdc org>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 13:38:01 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: More on house.gov censorship issue

I checked with Waxman's staff on this and they received the reply below from
the web site staff:
David Hawkins

-----snip--------
Subject: RE: [IP] www.house.gov censored early this morning
rehalliburton allegations

It seems to me that is a misunderstanding. Our administration contracts page
is alive and well
(www.house.gov/reform/min/inves_admin/admin_contracts.htm). Our website, and
for that matter all House websites, just don't work in the way this guy is
implying. Practically speaking, we, and only we, control our website content
and have the ability to pull things down in this way.

I think what likely happened is that the page might have been temporarily
down this morning, either because of an HIR malfunction or because of
routine HIR maintenance, and he misconstrued it.