Interesting People mailing list archives

Memorial Tribute to Barry Leiner

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 16:44:37 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bob Hinden <hinden () IPRG nokia com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:42:45 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Cc: hinden () IPRG nokia com
Subject: [Memorial Tribute to Barry Leiner]

Dave,

I wasn't aware that Barry Leiner had died until I saw his obituary in the
San Jose Mercury News this morning.  I did a search and found this written
by Bob Kahn.  It is more eloquent that anything I could say.

Bob

--

Memorial Tribute to Barry Leiner

by Robert E. Kahn

Quite unexpectedly, Barry Leiner — a pioneer in the information technology
— died in his sleep during the early morning hours of April 2, 2003. Our
thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Ellen and their two children, Jason
and Diedre, along with the rest of their family.

This was the essence of Barry Leiner as I knew him. He strove for
accomplishment, for fairness and objectivity, for collaboration and
organization, for supporting the community whose talents he greatly
appreciated and for being a friend and colleague to all who knew him. Barry
was a person you could trust. You could talk to him, ask his help or his
advice and he would gladly give it if he could. He was truly a giving
person. Anyone who ever knew him came away the better for the experience.

I will miss him greatly and I know his friends and colleagues will feel the
same.

http://www.dlib.org/dlib/april03/04editorial.html

------ End of Forwarded Message