Interesting People mailing list archives

access may be the next Internet revolution

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 19:57:33 -0400

From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Subject: Broadband A Go-Go / In city after city, high-speed wireless
 access may be the next Internet revolution

WIRELESS

Broadband A Go-Go

In city after city, high-speed wireless access may be the next
Internet revolution

By Steven M. Cherry

I've got a Dell laptop on my knees and the wind is in my (very short)
hair. I've got as many windows open as a beach house in summer-Google
searches and instant messages to my wife; in the background, a new
batch of e-mails downloads and my hometown public radio station
streams on. It's the usual cruise down the information superhighway
at 2 Mb/s.

But I'm also hurtling down an actual superhighway-U.S. Interstate 4,
at a very real 115 km/h. I'm in a Ford Mustang convertible, under
cotton-ball clouds and a postcard-blue Florida sky. The Dell is
outfitted with a prototype card that communicates with a test network
set up by broadband wireless start-up MeshNetworks Inc.

Earlier and a few miles away in Mesh's Maitland headquarters, outside
Orlando, I had asked Rick Rotondo, whose business card calls him
Mesh's "director of disruptive technologies," how fast we could go
and still retain a broadband connection. After all, laptops using the
best-known wireless Internet technology, IEEE 802.11, will move
beyond an access point and lose their connections at mere bicycle
speeds. Rotondo had grinned impishly and asked, "How big a speeding
ticket do you want to pay?"

Even at speed-limit speeds, the Mesh network held up, with download
data rates of at least 500 kb/s. That's faster, on the road and in
the air, than Aerie Network Inc.'s Ricochet service, which blankets
Denver with 128 kb/s coverage, maintaining connections at city-street
driving speeds of about 45 km/h. Though slower than Mesh, Ricochet is
no experiment-it made a highly publicized but failed attempt to go
national in 2000, and now lives on in the Mile High City with several
thousand subscribers. One, the Denver Police Department, uses it to
put squad cars on the department's internal network.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/publicfeature/jun03/bb.html