Interesting People mailing list archives

Partial Relaxation of Media Concentration Rules Justified

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:26:52 -0400

Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:09:50 -0400
From: Rob Frieden <rmf5 () psu edu>

Hello All:

With all the talk about the virtue of competitive bidding for spectrum and marketplace resource allocation I would have expected to read more commentary favoring relaxation of media concentration. So I accepted an invitation by Newday to "play the heavy;" see my op ed piece at http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpfri213294518may21,0,3070920.story?coll=ny%2Dopinion%2Darchive.

I would like to think more people than not can resort to "self help" when markets become concentrated, or when individual tastes and preferences are not served. I satisfy my worldbeat, ska, reggae, calypso and soca musical tastes on the Internet and have pretty much written off FM radio. From my perspective it doesn't matter whether a Mom and Pop station automates, or Clear Channel "repurposes" a plain vanilla format for hundreds of markets. Likewise I seek news via shortwave radio and the Internet.

I recognize that markets can fail and the need for antitrust enforcement, but I would not exempt media markets from having to streamline and become more productive just as every other sector of the economy.

        Regards, Rob Frieden

Pioneers Chair in Cable Telecommunications and Professor
Penn State University
105-c Carnegie Building, University Park, PA  16802
office: (814) 863-7996; fax (814) 863-8161
home: (814) 867-2545
Web page http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/r/m/rmf5/
Faculty profile: http://www.comm.psu.edu/graduate/Frieden_IC.html