Interesting People mailing list archives

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 05:58:54 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ole J. Jacobsen" <ole () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:47:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures

Dave, this is for IP:

I had about an hour to kill today in Washington, so I decided to wander
down towards the White House and check out the latest security measures.

On my way, I passed the Department of Commerce, so I crossed the street
and took a picture, figuring I could use it in some future PowerPoint
presentation describing the DNS root and all that.

I managed just one shot:

http://www.yikes.com/~ole/pix/

...before I was told by a police officer that "you cannot photograph the
entrance of any Federal building."

So, there you have it. It's obviously very dangerous to allow a tourist
like me to just go around taking pictures in public places. Since the
picture actually doesn't show the entrance (if it did it's been cropped
;-) I feel my Greencard is probably safe, but you and your readers have
been warned.

I am not making this up!

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   GSM: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole () cisco com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj

------ End of Forwarded Message