Interesting People mailing list archives

derivation of "PC"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:41:35 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: shellen <shellen () prodigy net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 03:35:37 -0400
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] derivation of "PC"

Subject: Re: FW: [IP] query on Flames of Nazi Oblivion

It has been observed that almost every cause, worthy or unworthy, is
eventually coopted by zealots.  Political correctness is one of them.
I am all for not hurting people's feelings, but I also believe in calling
spades spades instead of manually activated digging implements.

Bob McClure

There is a dangerous error in this statement.  "Political correctness" was
not just co-opted by zealots.  It was a phrase created by those zealots to
make the position look more alienating and polar.  By ascribing that moniker
to the position of advocating sensitivity to the inherent discrimination in
so many aspects of our language and culture (which absolutely can be taken
way too far both in range and context, but that is not my point), you are
already falling victim to the manipulation of the other position.  Liberal
thinkers did not stand up one day and say, "you must be politically
correct."  They demanded sensitivity and awareness, and conservatives
wanting to ridicule them and make it look like they were rigidly demanding a
neo-conservative-party-line adherence to a strict form said, "Look!  they're
demanding that we be 'politically correct'.  It is sad that people have
accepted the notion that it was created by the very people who it is used to
lambast.

------ End of Forwarded Message