Interesting People mailing list archives

a bit more on query on Flames of Nazi Oblivion

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 14:46:59 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Peter Boothe <peter () cs uoregon edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
To: Einar Stefferud <Stef () thor nma com>
Cc: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: FW: [IP] query on Flames of Nazi Oblivion

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Einar Stefferud wrote:

Well, just answer one aspect of the question -- Are [political
correctness and Nazi book burning] the same or different?

Different.

Then if different, please explain how;

Nobody is getting sent to death camps.  Nobody is advocating the
extermination of another race.  The government is not expunging those who
are not politically correct (see recent issues with Sen. Lott and Sen.
I-Hate-Gay-Sex whose name I forget, both of whom are still senators).  The
government is not forcing everyone to be politically correct.

Except for a few much-lambasted cases, political correctness is being
driven by market forces.  It's arising naturally out of people's desire to
not offend others.  Nobody is required to be PC, it's just considered
gauche not to be in some circles.

You have the right to shout racial slurs at the top of your lungs, but I
have the right to then think you are an asshole and ignore everything you
say and not buy your products.  Not only that, but I also have the right
to tell all my friends to do the same.  If you were a company, and not
desirous of such negative popularity, then you would probably come around.
You are welcome to start your own "we're not PC!" company (and it seems
that many have), but I don't have to patronize it.

The best discussion of this issue I have found was an essay entitled
    "Decrying political correctness without an understanding of its
    causes and intended consequences is little more than racism
    muttered under one's breath"
at
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=535907

Which, despite its unwieldy title, is pretty well-written and explains
very well the origins of political correctness, particularly with regards
to race.  Subsequent essays (found from any of the many links on that
page) expound on that issue yay or nay, but that particular one summarizes
my feelings pretty well.

    -Peter

PS:  Who made it a "no go"?  The original msg or my question?

Framing the question in terms of Nazis made it a no-go.  It's a horrible
strawman that is incredibly divisive and almost completely forgoes the
possibility of a rational conversation.  It's a lot like asking "have you
stopped beating your wife yet?".  There's not a whole lot of meaningful
dialogue that's going to go on after an opener like that.

------ End of Forwarded Message