Interesting People mailing list archives

SSN - military vs civilian use

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:57:24 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: JELyon <jelyon () mac com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 07:53:13 -0600
To: dave () farber net
Subject: SSN - military vs civilian use

One thing that continues to surprise me:

When I was in the US Navy (mid-late 80s), every time I wrote my social
security number on a form, I signed a privacy statement of some sort -
I believe it said why the number was needed, and what the result could
be if I didn't supply it. I don't have one available at the moment, or
I'd quote it directly.

Of course, we all know there is nothing equivalent in the civilian
world, where the SSN has become a defacto National ID number.

--
"Blind faith in your leaders, or in anything,
will get you killed."   -- Bruce Springsteen

------ End of Forwarded Message