Interesting People mailing list archives

2 on -- UT-Auston

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 05:40:56 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 23:14:21 -0500 (EST)
To: dave () farber net
Subject: UT-Auston {Anonymous, please}

Unnamed Administration sources reported that Dave Farber said:

On Sunday, March 2 at 7:20 p.m., computer systems personnel at UT Austin
discovered a computer malfunction. The affected computer system was
immediately shut down, and detailed analysis was begun.

What happened?
What is UT doing about this?

[ANONYMOUSLY PLEASE]

Dr. F:

Need I say? Iffen UT Austin did not USE victim's SSN's, with
the narrow (and thus more easily protected) exception being for
payroll/withholding; then they would not have been a target
in the first place.  But I bet they do exactly the opposite,
demanding it for every use of the pencil sharpener....

Me, I demanded my alma mater issue me a "shadow" number and
was glad I did.

So the question is not the barn door lock after this event,
but what POLICY will UT-Austin change to reduce future risk?

And

from
https://www.utexas.edu/datatheft/affected.html

Am I Affected?

Is your SSN in the following ranges?

     * 449-31-98xx - 450-91-24yy
     * 451-12-32xx - 451-20-35yy
     * 451-20-64xx - 452-20-40yy

If so, within these ranges, 55,200 people of the following types,
including but not limited to:

     * Current students, faculty and staff
     * Former students, faculty and staff
     * Job applicants
     * Retirees

may be affected.

If you believe you are affected, please contact us.