Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Iraq war poll[ I endorse the "idiotic"nature of open online and telephone polls -- djf

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 15:40:43 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Jim Warren <jwarren () well com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:16:07 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Iraq war poll

From: Deborah Alexander <dsalexan () optonline net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 22:26:20 -0500
Majority Senate Leader Frist has an Iraq war  poll on his website.
Right now a small majority of the respondents are pro-war. He invites
votes at

       http://frist.senate.gov/opinionpoll.cfm

Yesterday afternoon, the vote *significantly* favored war and killing
(politely called "invasion" on Frist's web-site).  And 15.6% of the
respondents were supposedly from Tennessee.  (Bet you didn't know TN
had such a large percent of the nation's population, did ya?)

By late last night, Deborah (above) told Farber that, "a small
majority of the respondents are pro-war."

Now, at 1058am PST on Thu, 55% OPPOSE the war (and 13.8% of the votes
supposedly came from TN).  Since the poll now opposes war, this
survey will presumably be reported finally, as the worthless
near-scam that such online polls are, to wit:

When I visited the site yesterday, I voted and stated I was not from TN.

When I just visited the site again this morning, and voted a second
time, I checked that I was from TN.  (Well geee, my father WAS born
there.)

Like the old cliche' sez:  Vote early; vote often.

(All votes will be counted ... unless they're from black or liberal
communities in Florida.)

--jim

These idiotic online and call-in polls really should be more
publicized as the complete fraud that they really are -- where anyone
can vote as often as they have time to waste, and special-interest
groups can flood such polls with bogus responses.

In fact, I'd love to widely distributed software that can be
programmed to hit all such online poll-sites every few minutes,
saturating them with "votes" biased by the user.  Maybe then, the
media would stop using and reporting such MISrepresentative polls.

And the idea of an elected official -- especially any Senate Majority
Leader -- allowing, much less facilitating, such illegitimate
operations from their own offices and on legislative computer
facilities, is simply appalling!

------ End of Forwarded Message