Interesting People mailing list archives

more POSSIBLE (likely) fraudalent PayPal scam - netcommunity awareness warranted

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 19:08:15 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Stephen Nachtsheim <stephen () nachtsheim com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:50:29 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] POSSIBLE (likely) fraudalent PayPal scam - netcommunity
awareness warranted

Dave,

This is not the only Paypal / EBay scam.  Here are two notes I received
after successfully selling a couple of items on EBay and using Paypal as the
agent.  I too had little luck figuring out how to notify either web site -
and never heard from either when I did.  I am assuming this particular group
is targeting EBay sellers; if you get the information for which they ask, I
suppose you could withdraw the accumulated monies from Paypal.  Both look
pretty realistic.  I do not know how the second one uses the Paypal URL to
steal your information ... I'll have to improve my  web programming
knowledge.

Steve

<removed graphics that looked like a paypal  djf.
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

PayPal NEVER ask you for your Credit Card number or password and do NOT give
your password to anyone and ONLY log in at
https://www.paypal.com/. <https://www.paypal.com/>

Note: When you log in to your PayPal account, be sure that the
website's URL always begins with "https://www.paypal.com/";.
The "s" in "https" at the beginning of the URL means you are

logging into a secure page. If the URL does not begin with https, you are
not on a PayPal page.