Interesting People mailing list archives

Foreign Students Wary of Joining War Debates

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 17:55:57 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <jhall () astron berkeley edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:22:28 -0800 (PST)
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Foreign Students Wary of Joining War Debates

[this is a perspective I didn't appreciate...]

A Delicate Search For the Right Words: Foreign Students Wary of
Joining War Debates

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55019-2003Mar30.html

<...>

The Washington area has always had a large international community,
from foreigners working at think tanks to exchange students spending a
semester in the United States. With U.S. troops on the ground in Iraq,
some of these foreigners say they find themselves in an uncomfortable
position: living in a wartime capital at a historic time but hesitant
to express their feelings.

"What I notice is foreign students don't want to talk with Americans
about war issues, because we're a little afraid of the reaction," said
Jeffrey Kihien, a Peruvian studying at American University's
Washington College of Law.

The reluctance to engage on the biggest issue around is in contrast to
what he's accustomed to. "Everybody talks about politics in Peru,"
said Kihien, 33. "If you are in a taxi, the driver is talking about
politics. At school, the students are talking about politics. Your
mother is talking about politics. But here in America, I don't think
so."

<...>

Joseph Lorenzo Hall                     jhall () astro berkeley edu
Graduate Student                        astron.berkeley.edu/~jhall
Astronomy Department
601 Campbell Hall                       voice: (510) 643-8592
University of California at Berkeley    fax  : (510) 642-3411
Berkeley, CA 94720-3411                 face : 753B Campbell

It's GNU/Linux, not Linux. Please change your speech accordingly:
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

------ End of Forwarded Message