Interesting People mailing list archives

more on editorial comment

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:31:02 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:08:24 -0700
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on editorial comment

For the list if you like.

At 05:17 AM 3/30/03 -0500, you wrote:
Stef is an old friend and is, most likely, considerably more to the right
than I am on many issues (not all). I strongly believe in the right to have
strong disagreements and still remain friends.

I want to second both yours and Stef's view.  I have known the both of
you for more years than I want to (can?) remember at the moment.
I listen to and often respect points of view across the political spectrum
but the one thing I cannot abide is the view that (fortunately) only a
few have, that they are infallible.  I have never believed in
infallibility, even
in such a narrow field as theology, and even when held by the Pope.
This is the one infallible statement I am willing to make: "There ain't
no such thing as infalllibility."

This is especially true in the prediction of events to come.  When
intelligent and reasonable men and women examine the best evidence
available and come to different conclusions it can only reinforce the
notion that we are all flawed.  One cannot even decide based on large
sample statistics.  After all the "average" person has one mammary and
one testicle, which is a totally useless description.  So to know or opine
that the average American hold a particular view is not helpful either.

It just may be that there are some problems around which no general
agreement is possible and we will just have to live with it.  To name just
two: abortion and the war in Iraq.  When one of these arises, it is my
belief that we should simply try to avoid making the problems worse by
being overly contentious or violent.  I have always been amused (befuddled)
by noting that the "anti's" stage the most violent protests.  Perhaps it's
something in the water.

In other words, once a course of action is decided upon, by whatever means
every effort should be made to try to see that that course of action
succeeds.
There is an old saying (from IBM I believe) that it is more important to
make
the decision right, than to make the right decision.

Finally, I don't care whether Dave tilts his list to the left, right, up,
down, or
center, I find it to be the most interesting and useful list of all to which
subscribe.

Bob McClure

------ End of Forwarded Message