Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Vonage: Down

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:06:41 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: jamie rishaw <jamie () arpa com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 05:45:17 -0600
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Vonage: Down

As of right now it appears they're up.

(Being a network engineer) I knew how to look a little more into what
happened
after they went back up.

It looks like they have a single piece of equipment that advertises their
BGP routing to the Internet; Obviously bad.  (BGP AS #21539).

Their Level3-owned blocks now appear to be going via Qwest; whether or not
Qwest is a tertiary link, or otherwise, they're at least providing dialtone.

Regardless of this, they don't seem to have any sort of real-time failover
mechanisms in place.  While this doesn't mean that I'm going to leave
Vonage,
it brings up the issue that they're not infallible.

Wonder if they'll issue release for this or not.

jamie

------ End of Forwarded Message