Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Google Phone Search sparks Privacy Concerns

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:39:26 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ted Dolotta <Ted () Dolotta ORG>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:24:42 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Google Phone Search sparks Privacy Concerns

Well, I think this is a bit alarmist:  if you read what Google says
about this feature:

    "PhoneBook

    Google has added the convenience of US street address and phone
    number lookup to the information we provide through our search box.
    You'll see publicly listed phone numbers and addresses at the top
    of results pages for searches that contain specific kinds of keywords."

The key word in the para above is "public."  What Google does is basically
a look-up in a reverse (by number) white-pages directory, tells you what it
found, and offers to show you a Yahoo map.  Except for the map, your phone
company will do the same, but charge you for it ...

If your number is unlisted, you get nothing back.  In my case, when I enter
my number, I get "Ted Dolotta, Princeton, NJ 08540," which is correct, and
is
the info I'm happy to divulge.  If I ask for a map, I get a map of the area
of Central New Jersey surrounding Princeton and centered on my ZIP code.

Google also says:

    "Our phone and address listings are gathered by a third party provider,
    which collects telephone directories and other public records available
    elsewhere on the web. If you would like to have your telephone number
    completely unlisted (including from your local phone book), contact your
    local phone company and request to be both unlisted and unpublished."

The last sentence above says it all.

I find this relatively benign:  If you list your address in a white-pages
phone book, anyone can find out where you live ...

Ted Dolotta