Interesting People mailing list archives

more on CNN foolishness

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:17:53 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Bonnie Bucqueroux <bucquero () pilot msu edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:16:28 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: CNN foolishness

I posted to the Society for Professional Journalists listserv about CNN
ordering Sites to stop his weblog.  I was surprised that it generated
relatively little comment and that most of the posters seemed to view this
as a copyright or contract issue rather than a free speech right.  My hunch
is that the CNN lawyers also saw it this way -- that they own whatever
Sites produces over there, by contract, and that they do not want to be
liable for something they do not control.  One poster noted that CNN, of
all the cable networks, was the only one to demand that all field producers
get script approval before putting anything on the air.

For all the live coverage of the fighting, so much of the war reporting
seems as processed as American cheese.  I am truly sorry to see an
independent voice silenced.

Bonnie Bucqueroux
Michigan State University
Victims and the Media Program