Interesting People mailing list archives

British speech to the troops

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:56:04 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Chris Spurgeon <CSpurgeon () electronicink com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:15:49 -0500
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: British speech to the troops

Dr. Farber.....

Regardless of one's view of the Iraqi war, it's easy to be impressed with
the eloquence of the pre-battle speech given by Lt. Col. Tim Collins of the
1st Battalion of the Royal Irish.  Well worth a read.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2866581.stm

UK troops told: Be just and strong
British troops waiting to attack Iraq have been told to behave like
liberators rather than conquerors.

But they have also been warned some of them may not return from Iraq alive.

Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins gave the battlegroup of the 1st Battalion of
the Royal Irish the pep talk as the US deadline for Saddam Hussein to leave
Iraq or face action ticked away.

Reporters said the men listened in silence to the address at Fort Blair
Mayne desert camp, 20 miles from the Iraqi border.

"We go to liberate not to conquer. We will not fly our flags in their
country," he said.

"We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag which will be flown
in that ancient land is their own. Show respect for them.

If you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
"There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly.
Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send.

"As for the others I expect you to rock their world. Wipe them out if that
is what they choose. But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be
magnanimous in victory.

"Iraq is steeped in history. It is the site of the Garden of Eden, of the
Great Flood and the birthplace of Abraham. Tread lightly there.

British troops await orders

"You will see things that no man could pay to see and you will have to go a
long way to find a more decent, generous and upright people than the Iraqis.

"You will be embarrassed by their hospitality even though they have nothing.

"Don't treat them as refugees for they are in their own country. Their
children will be poor, in years to come they will know that the light of
liberation in their lives was brought by you.

"If there are casualties of war then remember that when they woke up and got
dressed in the morning they did not plan to die this day.

"Allow them dignity in death. Bury them properly and mark their graves."

UK TROOPS PREPARE FOR WAR

To his 800 men - an arm of the 16 Air Assault Brigade - he said: "It is my
foremost intention to bring every single one of you out alive but there may
be people among us who will not see the end of this campaign.

"We will put them in their sleeping bags and send them back. There will be
no time for sorrow.

"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are
bringing about his rightful destruction.

"There are many regional commanders who have stains on their souls and they
are stoking the fires of hell for Saddam.

There may be people among us who will not see the end of this... We will put
them in their sleeping bags and send them back, there will be no time for
sorrow
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
"He and his forces will be destroyed by this coalition for what they have
done. As they die they will know their deeds have brought them to this
place. Show them no pity."

He said: "It is a big step to take another human life. It is not to be done
lightly.

"I know of men who have taken life needlessly in other conflicts, I can
assure you they live with the mark of Cain upon them.

"If someone surrenders to you then remember they have that right in
international law and ensure that one day they go home to their family.

"The ones who wish to fight, well, we aim to please."

He warned the troops not to get carried away in the heat of battle.

"If you harm the regiment or its history by over enthusiasm in killing or in
cowardice, know it is your family who will suffer.

God doesn't want you for a sunbeam - he wants you for a soldier
Father Nick Gosnell, chaplain to 16th Air Assault Brigade

"You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest for your deeds
will follow you down through history. We will bring shame on neither our
uniform or our nation."

Warning that the troops were very likely to face chemical or biological
weapons, he said: "It is not a question of if, it's a question of when. We
know he has already devolved the decision to lower commanders, and that
means he has already taken the decision himself. If we survive the first
strike we will survive the attack."

His closing words were resolute: "As for ourselves, let's bring everyone
home and leave Iraq a better place for us having been there. Our business
now is north."