Interesting People mailing list archives

ethics in technology

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:08:23 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Leigh Scott <polgara () technologist com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:36:38 +1100
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Tragedy

Dave,

I'm a Manager of the IT Helpdesk for the NSW Department of Education and
Training.  We service all public schools and tertiary education institutes
in New South Wales.  I was hiring new staff for our section and one of the
questions was "Give some examples of ethical practices issues you might see
in this position."  We were looking for confidentiality, protection of
sensitive information, misuse of confidential information, misuse of system
passwords etc.  All pretty standard stuff we thought.  Out of 30 applicants
who included MCSEs, people with 10 years experience etc (the tech downturn
has hit NSW rather hard as well), we did not get one satisfactory answer.
Some of the applicants didn't even understand the question.

Leigh

Leigh Scott
IT Help Services
Information Technology