Interesting People mailing list archives

a series of interesting notes on AOL and connectivity

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:11:58 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Frankston [mailto:Bobf-xix () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2003 10:14 PM
To: Faulhaber, Gerald
Cc: David Reed; 'Dave Farber'
Subject: AOL and connectivity

I¹m cc¹ing the David¹s as participants in the issue and don¹t intend this as
an IP submission (unless you think it should be). These days we have other
distractions on IP.

I noticed your comments in the NY Times AOL story.

It¹s a good opportunity to highlight the issue of connectivity since it¹s both
the reason AOL is late to the game and why it has a fundamental problem. AOL¹s
business is providing a service and when the Web happened it sort of embraced
it but held back. You see that in email messages which treat AOL users a
separate community since they don¹t support standard protocols and need
special handling.

Fast AOL has been tried; I even have a book about AOLTV. Interactive TV is the
perfect match for AOL¹s skills, especially when combined with Time-Warner. And
ITV has failed. The high speed broadband Interactive TV efforts of the last
decade failed against the dial up Internet.

With so-called broadband (a problematic term but let¹s not get too far off the
topic) the value comes from being able to fully participate in the Internet
and not just do faster AOL. While fast AOL is nice the real value is going to
come from doing new applications that presume connectivity, even if it isn¹t
that fast. VoIP is a simple example, http://www.eartherviewer.com
<http://www.eartherviewer.com/>  is another interesting example.

AOL can still provide services to users via the high speed connection but its
role as a gatekeeper becomes problematic. Apparently (I don¹t have the
reference offhand) those who go to broadband leave AOL since the AOL browser
window is a peephole on something much larger and those who appreciate that
are the ones who also appreciate broadband.

The real battle AOL faces is finding its role. I was surprised and impressed
how well it was able to deal with the Internet ­ MSN didn¹t fare as well in
the early days and had to reshape itself in AOL¹s model.

Of course, since I advocate separating transport from services I have a bias
here but it also brings AOL¹s dilemma into sharp relief. What is its role if
people go directly to the Internet and the Internet is a fundamental part of
every day life? It can still provide services but people will no longer
confuse AOL and the Internet.

Connectivity is the stuff of which AOL is built. What happens when users get
their hands on it?

Of course, the wireless world is going to go through the same revolution ones
everyone can have a voice.

Bob Frankston

rmf19 () bobf frankston com

------ End of Forwarded Message