Interesting People mailing list archives

SARS resources and comments

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:34:08 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Steven J. Davidson" <davidson () pobox com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 22:14:20 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: SARS resources and comments

Dave, for [ip] as you see fit.
/Steve
I've forwarded this report so that people have facts.

Note that ICU staff are not going home to their families.  As a physician, I
find that observation chilling.

Regards to the list./Steve
--
Steven J. Davidson, M.D., M.B.A., Chair, Dept of Em Med
Maimonides Med Ctr., Brooklyn, NY (718) 283-6030

Tom Buckley writes:

Thank you for your support.  I have no problem with posting to another list.

Infectious disease update may be helpful.

I am told that the incubation period appears to be 5-7 days.  Patients
present with high temperature which then settles.  Patients then develop
chills and rigors with high fever.

Chest x ray may initially be clear but then changes (bases in particular)
start on Day 3-4.

Patients are lymphopenic with platelets decreasing over 3-4 days after
initially being normal.  APTT is prolonged, PT tends to be normal.  LFTS are
difficult to interpret because of various drug effects.  If anything low
rise (100) in ALT.

We now have 80 cases of atypical pneumonia in this hospital (64 yesterday)
and over 50% are either Health Care Workers or Medical students.

Today we have admitted 4 cases to ICU one of whom requires ventilation.

Infectious diseases experts are talking about nebulized ribavarin and pulse
steroids.

ICU is seeing the serious cases of the first contacts.  We are all waiting
apprehensively to see if there is a second wave.

No update on the micro.

There are sporadic cases elsewhere in Hong Kong some of whom were contacts
with the original patient in our hospital.

What you see and read on CNN, BBC etc is 24 hours out of date.

Regards

Tom Buckley Consultant Intensivist
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care
Prince of Wales Hospital Shatin, Hong Kong

ph (852) 2632-2735 (W)
fax (852) 2637-2422 (W)
ph (852) 2791-6434 (H)
fax (852) 2791-6394 (H)