Interesting People mailing list archives

"Don't appreciate your anti-American attitude!"

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 10:05:12 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Rick Hauptman" <hauptman () greenlake org>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 06:59:19 -0800
To: "David Faber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: "Don't appreciate your anti-American attitude!"

I live in Seattle myself and on a recent trip to Home Depot wearing a "No
Iraq War" pin had a fellow customer tell me "I'm surprised that they let you
in here".

Rick Hauptman
hauptman () greenlake org

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/134653764_tsasign15m.html
Saturday, March 15, 2003, 12:00 a.m. Pacific

Suitcase surprise: Rebuke written on inspection notice

By Susan Gilmore
Seattle Times staff reporter

Seth Goldberg says that when he opened his suitcase in San Diego after a
flight from Seattle this month, the two "No Iraq War" signs he'd picked up
at the Pike Place Market were still nestled among his clothes.

But there was a third sign, he said, that shocked him. Tucked in his luggage
was a card from the Transportation Security Administration notifying him
that his bags had been opened and inspected at Seattle-Tacoma International
Airport. Handwritten on the side of the card was a note, "Don't appreciate
your anti-American attitude!"

"I found it chilling and a little Orwellian to have received this message,"
said Goldberg, 41, a New Jersey resident who was in Seattle visiting
longtime friend Davis Oldham, a University of Washington instructor......

------ End of Forwarded Message