Interesting People mailing list archives

Four on ( a real student speaks) Does File Trading FundTerrorism?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:57:02 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Paul E. Robichaux" <paul () robichaux net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:54:52 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: **SPAM** RE: [IP] ( a real student speaks) Does File Trading
FundTerrorism?

Mary Shaw makes an excellent point: Rep. Carter's plan is a terrible idea.
Having said that, Mr. Papadoupoulous' argument can be summarized thusly:
"If
you copy something that you wouldn't have otherwise paid for, it's not
stealing. Even if it harms someone, if it's for the entertainment of the
general population, it's OK."

Even by the standards of dorm-room bull sessions, this is an unusually
puerile argument that completely ignores the legitimate interests of those
who create entertainment or information content. The existing distribution
model is clearly broken wrt what consumers really want, and the RIAA & MPAA
are behaving inexcusably-- but two wrongs don't make a right.

If you want to swap copyrighted materials, fine, go ahead, but don't attempt
to cloak it in the mantle of social improvement for hoi polloi. Call it what
it is: taking what doesn't belong to you.

------ End of Forwarded Message